How can I Control the Humidity?
We highly recommend the Piano Life Saver (Dampp-Chaser) humidity control system. It is the ideal solution to the humidity problem. This device works year-round on grands and verticals and keeps the piano at a constant 42% humidity. The unit is silent, hidden, easy to care for, and works better than anything else available.
The system is placed directly into the piano and consists of three basic parts:
1. A low wattage heater, which comes on when the moisture in the piano is too high, and keeps the piano from getting too damp.
2. An humidifier, which distributes moisture at the proper amount when the air around the piano becomes too dry.
3. An humidistat, which measures the current humidity level and automatically regulates the heater and the humidifier.
The climate control system is endorsed by piano manufacturers, the Piano Technicians Guild, and many experienced technicians throughout the country. This product is the most effective way to care for your piano while saving yourself hundreds of dollars in unnecessary repair and maintenance costs. The Piano Life Saver system will allow your instrument to give you its best in performance and sound for many years to come.
A Piano Life Saver System installed in a vertical piano
Piano Life Saver Care is easy.
1. Always leave the system plugged in year around. This is very important! Unplugging the system will cause the piano to quickly go out of tune and defeats the purpose of the system.
2. Whenever the light blinks, fill it with water. Fill it with distilled or filtered water if possible. Add 1 capful of the Humidifier Pad Treatment, which comes with the system or can be obtained from your piano technician. Always water the piano when the light blinks, even when the piano technician is about to come for a tuning.
3. The pads should be replaced about once a year. Your technician will do this for you.
Visit our online store for Piano Life Saver replacement pads & humidifier pad treatment.